Monday, April 02, 2007

You

Chanced upon this poem by Rilkes at a freind's blog. beautiful, i must say.

You who never arrived in my arms, Beloved, who were lostfrom the start,
I don't even know what songswould please you.
I have given up tryingto recognize you in the surging wave of the next moment.

All the immenseimages in me- the far-off, deeply-felt landscape,cities, towers, and bridges,
and unsuspectedturns in the path,and those powerful lands that were once pulsing with the life of the gods-all rise within me to meanyou, who forever elude me.

You, Beloved, who are all the gardens I have ever gazed at,longing.
An open windowin a country house-, and you almost stepped out, pensive, to meet me.
Streets that I chanced upon,-you had just walked down them and vanished.
And sometimes, in a shop, the mirrors were still dizzy with your presence and,
startled,gave back my too-sudden image.
Who knows?perhaps the same bird echoed through both of us yesterday, seperate, in the evening...

No comments: